When visiting a restaurant Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala is a dish which is loved by all ranging from kids to the adult. Recipe of Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala is easy and below are step by step video instructions. Shahi Paneer is delicious, rich, and creamy. Shahi dishes were made in the era of Mughals using dry fruits and meat which were only affordable to the elite class. From there the word shahi dishes for food was originated.
A classical North Indian and Punjabi curry, Shahi Paneer, or Shahi Paneer Masala recipe is shared below. Unlike other paneer recipes, Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala is more creamy and sweet due to the use of dry fruits.
In this Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala Recipe, we have used curd which is optional. Add curd to shahi dishes blends the taste of spices and aroma of all the ingredients. You can also add saffron if required as per taste, but generally, the restaurants don’t use saffron in there Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala Recipe.
For making Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala always use fresh paneer. If you are using store-bought packed paneer, soak it in water for 10-15 minutes, and drain the water before use. The richness of the Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala lies in the spices used, always use fresh spices.
If you want to make Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala with white gravy skip the tomatoes and red chilli & use green chilli as a substitute.
Proportionally replace the tomatoes with onions while making Shahi Paneer or Shahi Paneer Masala with white gravy.
As per your taste you can also add almonds with cashew nuts.
Shahi paneer can be served with basmati rice, naan or tandoori roti or chappati.
Shahi Paneer Recipe | Shahi Paneer Masala
- 400 gram Paneer
- 3 Diced Tomato
- 4 Diced Onion
- 15 Cashew Nuts
- 1 Tomato Puree You can make tomato puree by grinding a tomato in grinder and sieving it using a sieve.
- Fenugreek Leaves or कसूरी मेथी or Kasuri Methi As per taste
- 3 Bay Leaf or तेज पत्ता or Tej Patta
- Cinnamon and Cloves (दालचीनी और लौंग) As per taste. These igrediets have strog flavour, use them in less quantity.
- 0.75 Cup Curd As per taste
- Sugar or Honey As per taste
- 3 Red Chilli You can incrase or decrease the red chilli quantity as per taste.
- Salt As per taste
- Cream As per taste
Onion-Tomato Paste for Shahi Paneer Recipe | Shahi Paneer Masala
- In a cooking pot add 2 spoons of ghee or oil. Wait for the ghee to turn warm.
- Add diced onions, tomatoes, cashew nuts and red chilli. Cook it for 2-3 minutes
- Add 2 cups of water. After water starts boiling cover it with a lid, and cook it for 10-15 minutes on medium flame till all the water is boiled and all the ingredients become soft.
- Keep this cooking pot in room temperatur for cooling for around 15-20 minues.
- Grid the mixture well to get a smooth puree. Sieve the grided puree.
- In the same container grind the curd very lightly.
Cooking Shahi Paneer Recipe | Shahi Paneer Masala
- In a cooking pot add 2 spoons of ghee.
- When the ghee is warm add Cinnamon (दालचीनी), Cloves (लौंग) & Bay Leaves (तेज पत्ता).
- Add tomato puree.
- Add Fenugreek Leaves (कसूरी मेथी or Kasuri Methi). Cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion tomato paste which we made earlier. Add 1 cup of water and cook it for 4-5 minutes in low flame.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Add salt and sugar (or honey) as per taste.
- Add paneer cubes and cook it for 8-10 minnutes on low flame.
- Add cream and serve Shahi Paneer Recipe or Shahi Paneer Masala.
- When grinding onion-tomato make sure they are at room temperature. If grinding hot, the grinder may burst out.
- At any time if you feel that ingredients are sticking on the surface of the cooking pot add some water if required.